Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Final Post

It is what you learn that can make you a better person. Of this, from my short experience in life I can be sure. “90 to change” was what I had in mind every time that I was tired or just felt like I was going to throw the towel. We, as a race, especially in the western hemisphere, have become absolutely disgusting. We have lost perspective on the basics in order to look and care at things that really do not matter. And, this way we’ve lost control over our own bodies.

Not us, not any of you that are reading this blog. All of us have started the “changing process.” You are either done with the program, in the middle of it, or just contemplating the possibility of starting because you, YOU, have realized that there is something intrinsically wrong about what’s going on with your life. In retrospective, I am amazed of how I was throwing my body, physically and mentally, to the trashcan. It’s absurd that we get to the point were you simply cannot perform a simple task. Climbing a flight of stairs, o running a couple of blocks. You are made to use our bodies. I do not need to say how that’s changed.

Since high school, everyone always is telling you to live a healthy life, but most of those people don’t. I was fortunate to witness some ironic situation in med school. An internists smelling like an ashtray forcing a patient to quit; an endocrinologist bigger than a car telling a 9-year-old boy that he is overweight so he has to stop eating, and so on. So, as a person and a doctor, how can I make a real difference in this world? I’m still searching for the answer, but one thing is clear for me, I start by learning. And, I learned a lot during this short three months, I learned more than during most lectures on holistic health at a classroom, or by reading papers and papers on the risk of diabetes and hypertension. I learned tons about myself, and I learned lots about other people whom, like you, have opened their eyes. Knowledge acquired through experience is absolutely the best things you can give yourself. Don’t be afraid, you can do it.  

I had 90 days to change and I did. I am really proud. Now I have more time to make a change.



The evolution of PCP 



3 comments:

  1. Felicitaciones!! Great job, Camilo. You look completely different from your first week photo in many good ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Camilo, you kicked ass! You look like Day 1 guys younger brother! I'm so glad you could LIVE the changes that most of your colleagues only recommend. I'd gladly take advice from my doctor if he was as fit as you! COMPLETE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point about being a doctor and the burden that goes along with it. It is, and should be more than just your knowledge. If you talk the talk, walk the walk.

    I was seen by a new doctor the other day as I was looking for a new place to be seen. The doctor was overweight. Now, it isn't that I am prejudice or anything but, I would not make that my doctors office. How am I supposed to take advice about my health from someone who is themselves unhealthy?!

    You look amazing by the way. I wish you the best with the rest of your training and school. CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete